Reflective Essay

Over the past four years, research has been the cornerstone of my undergraduate education. My research experience at TRU has been far more enriching

than I had initially anticipated, from mastering advanced instrumentation to collaborating with esteemed professors to analyze and interpret complex data

to presenting my research at various conferences. 

When I initially embarked on my research journey, I did not imagine the profound impact it would have on the course of my life. Although I had participated

in research competitions during high school, I needed a more comprehensive understanding of what research truly entailed. As I immersed myself in

various projects, it offered me numerous opportunities and university-level research proved to be a wholly different experience.  Research has allowed me

to delve deeper into the subjects taught in classes and equipped me with invaluable skills and perspectives.

Initially, when I was intrigued by the prospect of research at undergraduate level, I also harbored feelings of uncertainty and apprehension, unsure of

where to begin. Through the unwavering support and guidance of mentors, Dr. Kingsley Donkor and Dr. Naowarat (Ann) Cheeptham, I could navigate

these uncertainties with confidence. Their prompt inclusion of me in research projects early in my undergraduate journey provided me with invaluable

hands-on experience and an opportunity to collaborate with fellow scholars. Additionally, the remarkable infrastructure for undergraduate research at

TRU, which allowed me to work in research labs from my first year, is something for which I am deeply grateful. This opportunity, seldom afforded to

students elsewhere, was instrumental in shaping my research trajectory, and I extend my heartfelt appreciation to TRU, the Science Department, and the

Research Office for their support in realizing my goal of engaging in undergraduate research.

Engaging in research has caused a profound transformation in my approach to academic endeavours and life in general. It has instilled multifaceted

perspective in me, teaching me to scrutinize questions from diverse angles to ensure that every explanation is considered. This analytical mindset, honed

through research endeavors, has enhanced my ability to interpret experimental results and proven invaluable in navigating the complexities of everyday

challenges. Research has underscored the importance of embracing diverse perspectives, recognizing that every situation or problem is multifaceted and

demands careful consideration of various viewpoints. This realization has fundamentally altered my approach to problem-solving, emphasizing the

importance of listening to and valuing different opinions.

Engaging in research has influenced my demeanor and refined my communication skills. Through immersion in research, I have cultivated greater

confidence and comprehension, which is evident in my actions and speech. Delving into intricate research findings and presenting them at various

conferences has honed my public speaking abilities, boosting my self-assurance in diverse social contexts. Furthermore, tackling spontaneous inquiries

from knowledgeable judges and articulating my research to the general public has fostered adaptability in my communication approach. This skill, vital in

research settings, seamlessly translates to everyday interactions, enabling me to tailor my explanations to suit different individuals’ comfort levels and

perspectives. Consequently, this enhanced ability to connect with others has facilitated the formation of a supportive network of like-minded individuals

with whom I can readily collaborate on research endeavors.

My research activities have been critical to my personal and academic growth. My involvement in research activities has allowed me to engage in

community actively and has allowed me to understand that research is more than doing experiments in science laboratories. In 2023, as a Mitacs

Researcher-in-Residence Student Intern collaborating closely with the Research Office at TRU and the City of Kamloops, I helped contribute to the

development of the City’s Cultural Strategic Plan, aimed at enriching the cultural landscape of Kamloops. This endeavor involved organizing ‘You Are

Here’ Exhibits, where community members mapped cultural landmarks and practices in Kamloops. Analyzing these cultural maps, especially those

curated by individuals with Indigenous ancestry, provided crucial insights into their cultural perspectives, informing the development of inclusive

strategies. Additionally, I explored the impact of the opioid crisis on homelessness. Nevertheless, these research endeavors offered valuable insights into

community issues and initiatives to address them, further deepening my understanding of and involvement in community affairs.

These activities allowed me to invest time in research that was different from my typical science laboratory bench experience. It propelled me into

community, forging connections with individuals from diverse backgrounds, and imparting fresh insights into the multifaceted approaches to conducting

research. This skill of being able to solve problems in a variety of ways will be of the utmost importance to me once I graduate this upcoming spring.

Engaging in research in labs and community during undergraduate studies has equipped me with skills and perspectives needed to become a physician,

my career goal. I am confident that this experience has cultivated critical thinking and problem-solving abilities which will be essential for understanding

and diagnosing patient problems and creating effective tailored treatment plans. Additionally, enhanced communication skills, the ability to work in

interdisciplinary teams, and fostering collaborations, all of which are crucial in healthcare settings, will have paramount impact in preparation to venture

into my career trajectory. 

In conclusion, my journey through undergraduate research at TRU has been transformative, shaping both my academic pursuits and personal growth.