Applying Research Methods

Below are self-authored or co-authored reports, papers or summaries that outline the research method employed while conducting research.  This can includes methods such as interviews, forms of mapping or visualization, case studies, surveys, lab studies and field work involving descriptive, correlational, experimental, and causal-comparative and quasi-experimental methodologies. 

• Point in Time (PiT) Count Interview Questions
  • As a Mitacs Researcher-in-Residence Student Intern, one mini project I did was collect data about the individuals that volunteered at the Point in Time Count in Kamloops. Point-in-Time Counts provide a snapshot of the number of people experiencing homelessness within a community in a 24-hour period. It also gathers information on the demographics and service needs of the local population of unhoused individuals. Point-in Time Counts are conducted every two years in communities across Canada. I created interview questions to ask the volunteers.
  • License to Care Project Method Overview
  • As a Mitacs Researcher-in-Residence Student Intern, we worked towards holding a ‘License to Care’ Project that would take the housing and opioid crisis in Kamloops into consideration when formulating the City’s Cultural Strategic Plan. Although this project did not take place due to timing constraints, below are method overviews I created for our team.
  • UREAP Report (Methods Section on Page 4)
  • For my UREAP project, I constructed the methodology I would use to complete my project under the supervision of Dr. Kingsley Donkor. Below, in my final UREAP report that I submitted, is the methodology I conducted.
  • BIOL 3210 Microbial Ecology Methods Paper
  • In this course, there was a key emphasis put on the various techniques, instruments, and methods used to conduct research in microbial ecology. Students were asked to thoroughly discuss, compare, and contrast ten methods in detail.
  • BIOL 3000 Biometrics Research Report (Methods Section on Page 2)
  • In this course, our main project was to conduct an experiment asking any question my partner and I chose while using experimental data and R software to complete it. Our topic was ‘How Do Different Auditory Environments Affect Memory in University Students?’.
  • BIOL 4130 Molecular Evolution Case Study
  • Students had to make a case study worksheet for the class to complete that would investigate the use of bioinformatics in solving the worksheet. Keeping an emphasis on discussing the methods used, the case study below was created.
  • BIOL 3520 Cell Physiology Lab Report (Methods Section on Page 3)
  • In this course, our semester long project was to conduct an experiment investigating the effect of any drug, inhibitor, or stimulant on the cell migration of Ea.hy926 endothelial cells. Our topic was ‘The individual and synergistic or antagnostic effects of testosterone and caffeine on cell migration of Ea.hy926 endothelial cells’.
  • BIOL 2160 Intro to Microbiology Unknown Bacteria Project Report
  • In this course, our semester long project was to investigate the strain of unknown bacteria each student was given by performing a variety of common microbiology tests and methods. Below are the different methods conducted and the results they garnered.